Friday, January 20, 2006

I'm Back!

Well I've been back since Wednesday afternoon but just haven't got around to updating my blog. I had a good couple of days in Cairns and I think I bought the rain back with me. Surprisingly Cairns wasn't as hot as I expected and remembered but it was very humid - overall not that different to the heat and humidity we've been having here in the SE of Qld the last few weeks. I had orignally intended on doing a long run on Sunday with one of my mates but after about 10mins he decided he wasn't feeling up to it and piked out and we only did 5km - I was a bit disappointed but the plan was to do the long run on Monday then. The 5km circuit was a good one and was a tough road run up into one of the hilly affluent areas of Cairns - lovely views of the City. I was happy with the run especially considering that about 1.5kms of it was right up into the side of the mountain and I had to wait for about 1min and run around and around in a cul de sac until my mate reached the top before we turned to go back down.

I had a pretty hectic day on Monday and wasn't feeling all that energetic. I also pulled up a little sore in my quads as well but I was still keen to do at least a decent size run. My mate and I decided we would do two circuits of the same run from the day before and I knew this would be an excellent test to see how well I could handle a really tough hill session. Once again about 10mins into the run my mate decided he only wanted to do one circuit - I told him to just get through the first one and then see how he was feeling and then make up his mind. I am now starting to question just how intense he's training has been the last few months! We practically were walking the first lap and as strange as this sounds I find running at a really slow pace extremely uncomfortable and even tiresome. I didn't want to go out too hard though because I really wanted to get my mate to stick out a second circuit. About half way into the first lap it started to bucket down rain and as drenched as my clothes and shoes were it was quite refreshing. We also passed a group of about 25 runners - they looked pretty hardcore and I couldn't spot any Cool Running Gear on any of them. I'm guessing they were probably members of the Cairns Road Runners. As we were finishing the first lap I asked my mate if he was ready to do it all again and he said he didn't think he could - so I did what any good friend does and resorted to the proven motivational method by calling him a 'nancy boy'. Surprise, surprise, it worked! So we headed out and did it all again - at snails pace! When we were about 800m from finishing I told him we would really put an effort in and finish it strong. He agreed and we took off. I went hard and after about 100m turned around to see where he was - about 50metres behind me! I kept going and finished it off at a fair clip and my mate shuffled in a minute later. After I had cooled down I noticed that my knees were a little sore - running up hills doesn't bother them but running down sure does. I knew my mate wouldn't have the slightest inclination of running on Tuesday so I decided I would just forget about running and have a rest day. There are so many great places to run in Cairns. I noticed I spent most of my time driving around areas telling myself 'that would be a great place to run' over and over! How sad is that?

I was happy to get back to Toowoomba on Wednesday - as much as I enjoyed my time in Cairns I like being in the comfort of my own home and environment. I also noticed the healthy diet went out the window and I ate a heap of crap! I'm still feeling pretty guilty about that.

I dragged myself to the gym late Wednesday and did a session on the treadmill. On Thursday I had another busy day so gym was out of the question and I just did my hill circuit around home and then took Lara for a short run as a cool down afterwards. Today I finished the week off with another session on the tready for a week total of 44.3kms.

Sunday: 5kms in 27min 20secs
Monday: 10kms in 59mins 25secs
Wednesday: 11.5kms in 60mins on a 1 incline
Thursday: 4.6kms in 21mins 45secs + 1.6km cool down
Friday: 11.6kms in 60mins on a 1 incline

2 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Welcome back, good to hear you were able to get a few runs in while away.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Ha ha, I bet you have your mate worried after he saw how fit you have become. Wonder if he's out there doing some secret training to try to catch up :-)

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home