Monday, January 09, 2006

A Longer Run

I got up the motivation to go for a longer run so I made sure I had my mp3 player and plenty of water and tried to get to the gym when I knew there wouldn't be too many folks around. It was a nice cool day with all the rain and storms we've had but the humidity must be the real killer - I still sweat like you can't believe. When I was finished my run I looked like I had just walked out from underneath a shower - I definitely sweat more from running on a treadmill then out in the open air.

The original plan was to run for 90minutes but about 30mins into the run my mp3 player died - flat battery! I didn't panic because the cardio rooms always has the big screen TV going with one of the music channels playing but unfortunately they were playing a Bernard Fanning concert! I dislike Bernard Fanning (Powderfinger) immensely - apologies to Brissy folks and fans. I tried to just zone out and after about an hour I was drenched and I could feel my socks were ringing wet (this I've discovered gives me blisters) and I was feeling very uncomfortable. I knew 90mins was a bit ambitious considering all this so I decided 80mins was the go. I was feeling ok by the end of the run and even managed to do the last 5mins in 4:30pace.

After todays episode I've decided my long runs are going to have to be out on the road. I sweat far too much in the gym and its too uncomfortable to keep going for any long periods of time. Thanks to those who posted replies after my little sulk the other day - its you guys who will keep me motivated and I really appreciate it.

Today:
14.6kms in 80mins on a 1 incline

2 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

It not just makes you sweat more, but treddy running must make you mentally tough. Especially if you are forced to listen to music you don't like.


PS I just want to wish you well :-)))

3:11 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Well done on sticking with it for 80 mins. I sweat more inside as well. I assume it's because you don't have so much evaporation happening as you do outside.

Outside is definitely the way to go though. It is much easier to run long because you can't just stop and get off if you're still 5km from home!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home