Sunday, July 22, 2007

Well That Was Embarassing!

I've had a couple of embarassing moments in my life and this is definitely up with the best. Late yesterday afternoon I was at one of the suburban shopping centres getting some groceries. I came back and put the grocery bags on the roof of the car and tried to open the door of the car with my keys - it wouldn't work, no big deal as this happens sometimes because the key is slightly bent. I took the key out and gave it another go, still no glory. By this time one of the girls working at a Brumby's Bakery was looking at me very curiously - mind your own business and get back to work I thought. I tried again, still no luck and I was starting to get a little bit worried now as I only have one key on my keyring for the car so I couldn't try another one. I gave it one more go and it just wasn't going to work. I tried to bend the key a little thinking that yeah this will make a world of difference. Brumby's Bakery girl was still looking at me and wondering what on earth was taking place here. I tried to unlock the door with the now straightened out key - NOPE. I was both agitated and perplexed and with Brumby girl watching me feeling a little uncomfortable. I looked around and suddenly saw the rim covers on my wheels which looked a little bit different - I took a step back and had a good look at the car when it suddenly dawned on me 'this is not my car!' It was identical in every single way except for the rim covers. I looked around and sure enough my car was three parking spaces down. I casually walked away and went towards my car when I turned around and saw Brumby's Girl come out of the store to watch me I didn't know what to do so I turned to her and said 'thats not my car it just looks like it' - now the poor girl was even more confused and must have thought I was either a hopeless criminal or an escapee from a psych ward. She continued to watch me as I finally got next to MY car and I opened it with the key and said to her 'see? this is my car ' and thankfully she let out a laugh and turned around and went back into the store.

Anyway now to matters running. Ingrown toenail is fine. I couldn't get an appointment to see a podiatrist until Tuesday so I hacked it out myself with the surgical tools of a steak knife and stanley knife. It was a job well done and as good as new. I didn't run on Thursday as I didn't perform this procedure until Thursday night. Friday was a public holiday here and I think that may have been the last one for the year (yikes). I did an 8K circuit around home which incorporates heaps of tiny little hills and one mean mother hill. I felt fantastic for this run - probably due to the fact it had been a pretty easy training week up until then. I felt comfortable going up the hills and strong coming down. For the last 1K I practically sprinted it. Yesterday I did exactly the same circuit. I really didn't feel like running it and it took all of my willpower to get the shoes and gear on and get going. Its amazing how in the space of 24hrs you can feel so different about running the same course. I felt fat and like I was a big loping elephant who had no co-ordination. With about 10mins to go I thought to myself that my time would be about 5mins slower then the day before. When I finished and looked at my watch I nearly fell over when I saw that I was only 30 seconds slower. Bizarre!

Today I always planned on doing an 80/90min run at a very casual pace. I wore my heart rate monitor as I wanted to take this run very easy. I started out well and for the first 20mins I kept the heart rate steady but felt like I was almost walking. Then I had a steep incline and thats when the heart rate monitor almost ended up in the cane fields. The heart rate got up to about 175 and thats when it starts beeping - no big deal as I figured once the hill was conquered I could ease up and the heart rate would drop down again. I eased back in pace and thought that everything would be cool bananas again but no, the watch kept beeping and beeping and beeping. At one stage I looked at it and it said my heart rate was at 206! No way! I put up with this crap until about 45mins when I took it off and shoved it in my fuel belt. Up until then I had just been plodding along and at that pace I felt like I could have run for 12hrs. I picked up the pace a little and came out onto the Bruce Highway (Highway 1) with a zillion cars zooming past me. I really picked up the pace at about the 60min mark and was alternating between running on the side of the highway and the grassy headlands of the canefields - not good for the ankles! I felt really strong from about 60 to 80mins and would love to know what pace I was going - felt like I was flying. Then about the 85min mark I hit the wall. I was absolutely knackered - I would have hate to seen what I look like because I felt like I was all haunched over and no longer upright and just struggling to put one foot in front of the other. I eventually made it back to my place in 94mins and 55 seconds. As for the distance - I have no idea but I intend on measuring it tomorrow. I got a feeling the body is going to be aching all over tomorrow.

Thursday:
Rest Day

Friday:
8.00kms (some hill work)
42.37


Saturday:
8.00kms (some hill work)
43.06


Total Kms 15th July - 21st July:
46.30kms

2 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

LOL about the car :-) And about the DIY job on the toenail!.

10:51 PM  
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

My most embarrassing moment involved stopping to help someone push start their car while I was out running- only to find they were doing calf stretches before their run.
Good luck with your final preparations for the City2Surf!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home