Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Start of 2006!

To start 2006 off I went and did my 10K road circuit. It was still pretty hot and humid when I started but nothing to stress out about, I took a bottle of water with me though just in case. I wore my heart rate monitor as well and set the upper limit to 165 - as it turns out that was a big mistake because for about 60% of the run the watch was vibrating! The last time I did this circuit I felt very comfortable, today I felt terrible. About half way through I was even giving serious thought to pulling up and just walking home. I am not sure what the problem was but I think I may have started out way too hard and fast and from then on it was just a case of holding on. The hills all seemed like they were at 60ยบ, the slightest breeze felt like a cyclonic headwind and my legs felt like lead - I didn't enjoy the run the slightest bit. It hurt and I even nearly had a chuck up the final hill! When I got home I just collapsed onto the front lawn and wondered what on earth happened. I went from a nice casual run to one that nearly killed me in the space of 2 weeks.

The only good thing to come out of the run was that is was actually 7 seconds faster then the last time. A PB to start the new year - but what a way to do it!

Today:
10kms in 48:20

3 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

A PB is a PB no matter how much it hurts :-)

But the best thing is you soldiered on and finished, even though you felt like bailing. So well done! And a great time by the way especially considering the conditions.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

Started 2006 with a PB, congrats. It probably doesn't feel like it at the moment but. The weather has been pretty warm lately making it even harder, well done for not pulling out.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

Happy New Year! I hate runs like that but I'm sure they make you stronger and you appreciate the good ones even more. I hope you have a great year.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home