Monday, January 02, 2006

Mini-Triathlon

I thought I would try something different today and do a mini-triathlon. A dip in the pool seemed like a good idea as well as it was stinking hot again. I'm guessing this is the first time I've been in a swimming pool for maybe 10yrs or more. My Dad used to be a swim coach and although I was strong swimmer I never really cared for it. Waking up at 4-30am five times a week when you're a teenager isn't exactly the most appealing thing in the world. When I was about 15 I gave up swimming to concentrate on tennis and cricket - much to the disappointment of my Dad. I still used to do some swimming - school and Uni carnivals and even did some swim legs in triathlon relays but after Uni I can't ever recall jumping in a pool again. My plan today was to swim 1500metres, bike for 30mins and run for 30mins - I had no idea how or if I would even be able to do this but the whole idea got me very curious.

The swim was surprisingly easy, not a blistering time by any stretch of the imagination but it was very comfortable and not bad considering I hadn't been in a pool for so long - 1500metres in 24.55. I couldn't go straight onto the exercise bike - I had to shower and change so it was about 20mins before I got onto the bike (possibly one of the longest ever transitions). To my embrassment I didn't know how to get the exercise bike going - I've never used the bikes before. I ended up pressing a few buttons and programmed an ironman course into the computer and put in a level 5. I have no idea what all of that meant but it was all good. The course was up and down hills and I managed to do 13.2km in 30mins. I went straight onto the treadmill as qucikly as I could and I'm lucky I didn't fall flat on my face as I started running - it was as if I was learning to run for the first time. It was one of the most bizarre sensations I've ever experienced - I knew what I wanted to do but the legs wouldn't co-operate. I had to go at 6:00min pace for the first 2mins until I could get some co-ordination going. Eventually everything felt alright and I settled into a nice groove and even did the last 5mins at 4:21 pace. I ended up completing 5.8kms for the 30min run.

Although this was just a way to vary my training I have to say I really enjoyed it and was feeling quite proud of myself by the end of it all. I wasn't dead on my feet afterwards and kept thinking how great it would be to actually do a real triathlon - food for thought and something I think I would like to pursue once I have my running at a level I'm happy with.

Today:
1500metre swim
30min bike
5.8kms in 30mins on a 1 incline

2 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Triathlon is a great sport to get into. Even if you are good at the 3 disciplines joining them back to back is a whole new experience. A real challenge and great cross training.

You done well for the first time, it is a weird feeling getting off the bike to run though, something that requires a bit of training. :)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

A mini-tri! What a great idea, especially in this weather.

I've never tried cross-training like that in one hit but it sounds like its worth the effort, if only to experience that wierd transition sensation :-)

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home