Thursday, December 22, 2005

Not Much To Report

Another treadmill session! I wore my heart rate monitor today - something I probably should do more often. I wanted to check my heart rate for my run and found that it hovered around 136-138 for the first 30mins at 5:21pace - I have no idea what that means or if its good or bad. When I went up to 5:00 pace for the last 10mins the heart rate went up and down between 146-150. Something I noticed and found interesting was that when I took a drink the heart rate went up about 5bpm and took about 1 minute to get back down again. It seems the moment you make the slightest movement that takes you out of rhythm you pay the price with an elevated heart rate - you learn something everyday!

Today:
7.6kms in 40mins on a 1 incline
The first 30mins done at 11.2km/h and final 10mins at 12.0km/h.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

I've just dusted off my old HRM, I hadn't used it for a few years. Like you I'm taking measurements but have to sit down and figure out what they all mean. That's interesting about the drink.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

About 50-70% of your Max HR (220 - age) is a good ball park figure to remain in for improvement.

I was reading an article in runners world maybe the Nov/Dec issue about 2 groups of elite endurance athletes that undertook two types of training programs. One was training at very sedate level about 120-150 bpm the other training in the upper limits of their aerobic zone. The findings were that the lower intensity training actually proved better in terms of finishing positions for the championships that were training for.

The point that I really like is that you dont have to flog yourself to improve or gain fitness

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home