Sunday, December 18, 2005

My Road 10K Circuit

This is an old 10k route my mate and I used to use for our City2Surf training - he assures me its 10k (actually a little bit more 10.03) as he has measured it out with his bike, but after today I'm left wondering. Definitely need a Garmin!

After my unofficial 5k time trial last week I thought I would like to do a 10k on the road. I didn't intend to do this real hard - just a nice casual pace. Its not an ideal 10k TT course anyway as there are quite a few hills, nothing too scary but a few that cause me quite a bit of grief. I've come to the conclusion that no matter where you run in Toowoomba hills are just a fact of life.

The circuit is more or less a big square, so you don't have to weave in and out of streets, but you encounter some nasty headwinds and lots of traffic at intersections - one of my pet hates and reasons for doing the majority of training on a treadmill. For me, rhythm and form is everything and once I get into a nice momentum I find I conserve so much energy and feel very relaxed - the second I have to slow down for traffic this all goes out the window and it usually takes me 100 or so metres before I get back into my rhythm.

I started off at a fairly slow pace and straight away I was running into a strong headwind. I never realised how dry your mouth becomes when its windy and I didn't take any water with me. There is a long section shielded by buildings from the wind and its very flat, I felt like I was gliding the whole section and its the best I've ever felt - I'm guessing this was an extremely fast split for me and the reason for the time I did. Thankfully for most of the inclines I had the wind behind my back and they didn't bother me too much - slowly but surely I'm starting to conquer hills and not getting psyched out by them.

When I finally finished the run I thought I had done it in about 52/53 minutes. I had taken the run pretty slow for the first 15minutes and never really exerted myself at any stage. I couldn't believe it when my watch said 48.27 I immediately started doubting the length of the circuit and even went home and tried to measure it out in the car - I know its not a recommended or accurate method of measurement but I needed to do it. It came up with just over 10kms.

This Xmas I'm buying myself a forerunner! I think I've progressed to an acceptable level to warrant one for use. I'm no star but I think it would help so much with pacing and not to mention accurately measuring distances so there are no doubts left in my mind. Its a really exciting time for me - in the last month or so I feel like I've jumped an entire level in my ability. If I really did run 48.27 for 10k on what I think isn't an ideal course to do a PB then who knows what I could run for 10k if I set out with the intention of running it hard?

I hope the drive and motivation that I have at the moment always stays with me and the excitement that I experienced today is what keeps me running for a very long time!

Today:
10kms in 48.27

3 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Congratulations on a great time, I know how hilly Toowoomba is, I ran the Hilly half with very little training in September, so to run a PB without even feeling like you pushed it, is great.

Treat yourself, get a forerunner, Im just itching to actually get use out of mine, from all reports they are very beneficial for training.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

That's a fantastic time for 10k, it will be interesting to see what you can come up with in a real race. What a great feeling it must be so see all your hard work paying off.

Like Shane I've run the Hilly Half (once!) and so do recall some nice little hills up there. Perfect for C2S training!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

You'll find the Garmin really useful if you get one. If I'd waited until I was of a decent standard to get one I'd be waiting a loooooong time :)

Sounds like a great run and it's great when you feel your running has gone up a level. I hope it continues for you.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home