Monday, August 14, 2006

65.55 - What A Run

Four weeks ago I set out with the goal of cracking 75mins so I could get an A1 start for next year. A couple of days ago I thought maybe, just maybe I could crack 70mins - never did I even think about running 65.55!

I had a reasonably good nights sleep the night before - something that I normally don't do when looking forward to something as much as this. I got to the start line at about 7-30am and met my mate from Cooktown there - he was running in the HSBC group. We stood in the sun for a while and defrosted and then thought we had both better go and line up. As I was walking over to the A2 start I saw a collection of Cool Runners - not sure who everyone was but I did see Tesso and was going to go and say G'day but I saw the volunteers eyeing me suspiciously as if I was going to try and sneak in. While walking to my start line I passed 2 very fit looking CoolRuners and don't ask me how but I knew straight away it was Miners and GoGirl - I didn't say anything because I didn't think they would take too kindly to be pounced upon by some strange guy. Sure enough as they walked past me I turned to look at the back of their hats and it said 'Miners and GoGirl'.
So after standing around for over 90mins we were finally off! The moment I started running I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a good day - my achilles were aching (something that has never happened to me in my life) I put it down to standing around in the freezing cold doing nothing. I decided to just take it easy and it might go away - after about 2kms it did thank god. So I went through the 2km marker in 9mins - way too fast for my liking. I needed to slow down and start reserving some energy for Heartbreak Hill. I slowed down and got to the 5km marker at about 23.30 and was feeling fairly comfortable - great sign and was feeling good about my pace. As Heartbreak Hill approached I passed a Cool Runner wearing a singlet - not sure who it was but I said 'Go Cool Runner' - I would love to know who it was. Got to the 7km mark at about 33mins and was really excited thinking by this stage that sub7omins was definitely on the cards. I think my saving grace for this years run was the fact that I got trapped behind a wall of runners up Heartbreak Hill - no matter which way I zig zagged I was having no glory getting through - it forced me to go much slower then I wanted which in the end was a good thing.
I keep forgetting that once you get through Heartbreak Hill there is still a heap more little tough hills to negotiate. I went through the 10km mark at about 47.30 and was running into a heap of runners which was starting to worry me a little and I was using so much energy and running so much further trying to dodge and weave my way around them. Finally I got to the 13km marker at 60.05 which in my opinion was way, way off because that means I ran the final km in 5mins 50 seconds which I know I didn't do - no way! I gave everything in the last 3km but I knew I was starting to tire, my legs were hurting, I had only taken 1 drink during the whole race and I was just generally feeling like I was going to collapse.
But much to my delight I crossed the line in 65.55 - I was so happy! If I didn't feel like having the obligatory chuck I may have even danced a little jig. As I was waiting to get a drink I turned and was standing right next to CR Kit - once again I didn't say Hi to her as she was too busy talking to a Sydney Strider about her time and run.
Collected my bag of goodies, found my mate from Cooktown - who ran 69.47 I think and spoke of what a tough but brilliant run the City 2 Surf is. Can't wait for next year.
I'm at an internet cafe now and will post further updates once in WARM Cairns. Apologies for spelling mistakes - strange keyboards always stuff me up.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Well done on the great time. An A1 start next year will make things much easier for you to get a clean start. Make sure that you say g'day next time !

9:59 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hey!!! I was so oblivious to evrything I did not even notice you :-) You should have said hi... always great to meet new CR's! haha although I sometimes chicken out :-) Great run- well and truely smashed the 70min mark!!!
What is your next race? Say hi definately!!

12:43 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Mate - fantastic run for you, but a real shame you didn't say Hi. GG and I would have loved to have had a chat with you! You would have loved the beers at the pub afterwards too.

As GG mentioned, you'll have a red-carpet invitation for the start-line party for next year - you have to bring something to eat though ;)

btw - thanks for mentioning the 'looking fit' bit. Not sure if I felt like that at the moment, but it nice to hear ;)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

nice run! you should definitely have said hi to those guys - i can vouch for them all being very nice hospitable coolrunners! as are the rest of us but i was a loooong way back from you mob! come back to sydney soon!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats on smashing your target. Wow, I can't believe we were so close - my card said 65:48! Pity you didn't come over and say hello, like others I was looking forward to meeting you.

So next year you'll be part of the pack at the front of the A1s - how exciting. Its so much fun, the 2 1/2 hours we were there seemed like maybe 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, maybe see you at some other race.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home