Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Not Too Much To Report

I'm still mourning the loss of my mp3 player and have since taken temporary measures to provide some entertainment until I can purchase a new one. I've put my old stereo a couple of metres from the treadmill and been throwing on some CD's while running. Lara has been eyeing off my stereo ever since I put it out there and I'm sure she's trying to work out the best way for her to put that into a million pieces as well. At the moment she's quite happy to just look at it and bark at it for 5mins and then walk away. Lets hope thats all she ever does.

I was in the shopping centre on Sunday afternoon when suddenly while I was walking I had the sharpest pain in my knee. It crippled me on the spot and I couldn't walk any further. I was petrified and didn't know what happened - it happened while I was just walking, not running, not jumping, not trying to sidestep another shopper. It was that bad I couldn't even bend my knee. I limped over to a seat and sat down. People must have thought I was nuts - here was someone walking along fine one moment and then the next moment trying to hobble off to a seat. So many things went through my head but mainly visions of Rugby League players grimacing when they do their medial ligaments in games and I was thinking whatever happened it was going to mean no more running for a very long time. I gave it about 10mins before I tried to put weight on it and then walked off. I found that after I had taken a couple of steps and stretched it out a bit it was back to normal. Within about 40metres I was walking as if nothing had happened and there was no pain at all. How weird is that???? When I got home I was worried if I tried to run the same thing might happen again so I cancelled my scheduled long run and decided to just run as long as the head and knee allowed. Jumped on the treadmill and had no worries at all. Decided then and there was going to do a fairly hard 10K. At about the 4km mark the knee was fine but I was buggared - I couldnt understand why. I went through the 5km mark at just under 22.20 and knew I was not going to make 10km's so pulled the pin at 25mins for 5.6kms. When I was cooling down I realised that I had left the treadmill elevation setting at 2 (from the previous night) rather then 1 - thats why I was so knocked up!

Monday night I was tired and had very little energy so restricted myself to 9kms at 40mins. Tonight I wanted to get a decent size run in and ran 13kms in 60mins at a fairly quick pace - I felt very good afterwards as well. Listened to my Best of Fleetwood Mac CD on all 3 runs and have killed that. I'm now in the process of looking for another CD. I can't believe how dusty my CD's have become!

Sunday.
Kms: 5.6
Time: 25.00

Monday.
Kms: 9.05
Time: 40.00

Tuesday.
Kms: 13.00
Time: 60.00

3 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

wow - that is mysterious - take it easy! with any luck it was a one off and your knee just wanted to remind you it was there!!

7:22 AM  
Blogger R2B said...

Sudden onset knee pain?Hmmm i hope this isn't a recurrent theme.

RICE is the usual doctors advice.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

Can you believe my iPod died on Monday! Unlike the painful death your mp3 player must've endured at the hands (well, teeth) of Lara, for mine it was very quick. The Apple people tell me its not worth fixing.

That sudden knee pain was wierd alright, hope it was just a one off thing.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home