Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Running Research

Yesterday I went into the deep, dark murky depths of my magazine holders to find all the running magazines I've accumulated over the years - the reason for this? To try and find out what exactly a tempo run and speed training is. I am ashamed to admit this but I really don't know.
Since I started running in late November last year my training has mainly consisted of just chalking up the K's. Some days I put a bit of effort into my runs other days I just run slow and steady. But I read the blogs of CR's and read all about the speed training and tempo runs and start asking myself - if I did this would my running greatly improve? I'm happy with my progress but if so many of the people I admire and respect around here do them then I suppose I need to give it a try. So the research will continue and I'm going to try and find a program that appeals to me and stick to it.
Another thing which I need to look at is the crap runs that I do - such as last night. I didn't want to run but dragged myself out on the treadmill. I couldn't get any rhythm going, I felt uncordinated and just was really struggling but battled and then questioned whether or not the run did me any good. I think perhaps I may have been better served just resting.
Tonight I was pretty happy with my run - something that I've concentrated on doing since training for C2S is learning to pace myself and finish the back half of my runs strongly. Tonight I went out with the intention of doing a hard 10km run. The first 5kms I did in a good sharp pace but with plenty left in the tank to finish it off - I went through 5km in about 22-40. The next 5km I really picked up the pace but still felt fantastic. The end result was 10km in 44-15. I'm not sure what that makes the second 5km in (my brains fried at the moment) but I know it was quicker! Its also an unofficial PB for 10km. I ran for 50mins total and just dropped the pace back to about 5min/km to finish the run off.

Monday.
Kms: 8.0
Time: 40.00

Tuesday.
Kms: 11.2
Time: 50.00

2 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

phew - that is really fast! i understand most of the stuff about speed work/intervals/fartlek now but don't think i've ever done a tempo session - look forward to reading when you have a definition!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

That's a fantastic 10k time, especially considering it wasn't in a race, which always seems to bring out the best in us.

I think you are onto something with the tempo runs. At the Bondi Hotel post C2S I had talked to Digger about this, well, he talked to me about it really if you get my drift :-) It sounds like its definitely worth slotting them into the training.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home