Saturday, September 09, 2006

Catch Up

I'm almost fully recovered from my bout of the flu. I still am a little bit stuffy in the head and croaky voiced but I feel 100% better then what I did this time a week ago. I can't recall having had the flu this bad in a long time. Normally I get the flu at some stage during the year but it never knocks me the way it did this time.

No running done until Wednesday afternoon. I was feeling guilty every single day I didn't run but resisted the temptation. I'm glad I felt guilty though as this means that I've got the running bug again and have the motivation to get out there and do it. I went to jump on the treadmill on Wednesday afternoon but realised its on the blink - so it cant be used until it gets serviced (not happy) This meant if I wanted to do a run I would have to hit the open roads! I don't actually live in Cairns itself I live in one of the newer southern suburbs thats not far from the mountains. So I decided to run around the back of the suburbs towards the mountains and all the rich peoples houses - nice views! I've actually done this run before when I first moved into the house. I like it because its like a mini City to Surf. I think its only a bit over 10km but its got a gradual incline from the start of the run, a mean hill half way, downhill for about 3km and then a steady incline again home. Its a testy run but its a nice mix of crossy country, bitumen and lovely views. Just after you start off from my house you run alongside the Cane headlands for about 500metres - very scary as this is where you see snakes (dead or alive) all the time. In fact, you can hear rustling in the Cane while your running but usually this is just bandicoots scurrying when they hear your footsteps but still you have to keep your wits about you or you're likely to almost step on a snake coiled up in the grass. The first thing I noticed when running was how much my ankles and knees were hurting - especially on the uneven surfaces of grass and gravel. I ended up appreciating when I finally got onto bitumen and bike paths. I ran at a pretty steady pace the whole time and didn't feel like I was going very fast at all. The last 1.5kms is so nasty - its the slightest incline home but just enough to make it hurt and very uncomfortable. I did the run in 48.16 which was very surprising.

On Thursday I decided to take my running gear with me to work and would run along the Cairns Esplanade in the afternoon. For those who have never been to Cairns, the esplanade is not beach its mudflats! Its still pretty but not the picture I think most people have in their minds. There is some nice pics here http://www.cairnsesplanade.com/gallery.html I'm not sure how long the esplanade itself is but after running along there I ran up towards Cairns Centenary Lakes and through the botanical gardens. I really enjoyed this run, not only for the scenery and change in location but the fact there was quite a few other runners out and about as well. It makes you feel good when there are other people out doing it as well - plus the fact it makes you run that little bit faster and ensure that you're not breathing like a racing horse. Definitely a very enjoyable run and one that I'm going to try and do once a week from now on - its a great perve for a guy as well with lots of female tourists in bikinis sunning themselves. Not sure of the distance run but it took me 44.14

Yesterday I just did the run around home again. I felt much better and not even exhausted after the run. I put this down to the fact that I had recovered more from my flu and that I ran it more then a minute slower 49.29

I'm going to have a rest today and tomorrow attempt a longish run. Not sure of the location yet, but there are so many great places around the Cairns area to run - I'm sure I'll find a tough, picturesque place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

I'd take the mud flats over the snakey cane fields any day!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Shane said...

With the temp warming up running on the esplanade is a great option for many reasons and im not talking about the mud flats :)

That 10k track sounds like a tough one, I'll bet you will be glad when the tready is back in action.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home