Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sydney Half Marathon - No Show

I really wanted to go Sydney in a few weeks and do the Half-Marathon and I had every intention of doing it. But I made the decision this morning that I wont be going. I've come down with a bad bout of the flu and its really knocked me at the moment. I felt it coming on Thursday when I had a bit of a sore throat and just didn't feel 100% - stupid me still did a run on Thursday night when I probably should have just rugged up and took some Codral Cold and Flu and lathered myself in Vicks. I woke up Friday morning feeling very ordinary and went to work and could just feel myself getting worse and worse by the hour. By the end of the day I was like a zombie and I came home and collapsed into bed. Yesterday I just spent laying in bed slipping in and out of a comatose like state. Today I feel a little bit better - hence I've even been able to drag myself out of bed onto the computer.

I'm so disappointed that I wont go to Sydney. I was really looking forward to it - but realistically I definitely know now that I'm not ready to run a half-marathon. I've done one decent long run since I've come back to training and I wanted to do another one this weekend. Right now I don't even know when I will be able to get back into training - which is a worry because I've felt like I've got right back into the training groove again. My focus now turns to finding another half-marathon somewhere before the end 0f the year as its one of the goals I set myself at the start of the year.

Thursday.
Kms: 10.4
Time: 50.00

4 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

that is shame - but you know your body best so I am sure that you are making the right decision. loads of other races this year - my next goal will be the central coast half in december - sure to be loads of coolrunners there :)

5:47 PM  
Blogger Gronk said...

Listening to your body is always the right thing to do. The race will be there next year. :)

7:16 AM  
Blogger Tesso said...

There's always Toowoomba in mid October. Or if you want to go a teensy bit further what about being part of a relay team (2 x 25k) for the Kurrawa to Pt Danger race on the second Sunday in December. Its stinking hot, but its fun.

6:35 PM  
Blogger miners said...

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you get over it soon.

Yep, the central coast half was a ball last year. Lots of CRs in a very social gathering - good course too (nice and flat). Well worth looking into if you're still up for the travel.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home